Sunday, February 19, 2012

On the Birding Circuit

I'm the first to acknowledge that there is a birding circuit that many Ontario birders follow, and that I am on it much of the time. There are certain places to go, during certain times of the year, to observe certain birds. It's as big a cliche in the birding world as Tilley hats and photography vests. So it will come as no surprize to any Ontario birder that Hannah & I decided to do some winter birding in Algonquin Provincial Park this weekend. We weren't alone either. I saw some semi-familiar faces at the Visitor Centre, the Spruce Bog trail and the Opeongo Road. We were all on the circuit.

Pine Siskin
Gray Jay
I wouldn't say the birding was easy, but we invested some time and came away with some nice winter birds. In the winter finch department we scored Pine Grosbeak, Red Crossbill, Common Redpoll, Pine Siskin & Evening Grosbeak (not relying on feeder birds).

American Marten

No comments: