Friday, October 4, 2013

2013 OFO Convention

I won't beat around the bush; the birding was slow last weekend at Pelee. That's not to say there weren't some good birds on display (Brown Pelican, Glossy Ibis, Snowy Egret, Eurasian Collared-Dove) but the birding was characterized by long periods of no activity occasionally punctuated by a mixed flock of songbirds, or alternatively you could go on the hunt for the known rarities in the area. I actually had two new birds for the year (Sanderling and Cape May Warbler) so I guess the birding wasn't that bad.


Sanderling

I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I don't remember ever being at a convention where the birding was particularly exciting (and I've been to 6). I have actually come to regard these conventions more as a social opportunity than a birding opportunity.

The highlight by far for me was hanging out with and getting to know our guest speaker, Greg Miller on both Saturday and Sunday.


Best Buddies

What a fantastic guy! His narrated screening of the film version of "The Big Year" was a lot of fun. During his presentation at the banquet he was able to keep the attention of the audience without the use of any photographs or powerpoint slides. He was able to rely purely on the strength of his character - very impressive. He invited us to come and visit him in Ohio sometime which I hope to take him up on. Did I mention he is a fantastic person? He was so friendly with the crowd and took an interest in everyone he spoke to. Greg Miller: the humanitarian birder! I've met quite a few birding "celebrities" at various festivals and events across North America but none has impressed me more than Greg.

No comments: